Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Trick-or-Treat

Darkness falls across the land
The midnight hour is close at hand.
Creatures crawl in search of blood
To terrorize y’awl’s neighborhood.
And whosoever shall be found
Without the soul for getting down,
Must stand and face the hounds of hell
And rot inside a corpse’s shell.

Deamons squeal in sheer delight.
It's you they spy, so plump so right.
For though the groove is hart to beat,
Yet still you stand with frozen feet.
You try to run, you try to scream,
But no more sun you'll ever see.
For evil reaches from the crypt,
To crush you in its icy grip.

The foulest stench is in the air,
The funk of forty thousand years.
And grizzly ghouls from every tomb
Are closing in to seal your doom.
And though you fight to stay alive,
Your body starts to shiver.
For no mere mortal can resist
The evil of the Thriller.
Thriller
Performed by Michael Jackson and Vincent Price
Written by Rod Temperton

Halloween is one of my favorite holidays. It ranks right up there with Christmas as far as extensive and exhaustive preparations go. I love making costumes, although they always take way longer than I think they will. Some years I start early, and other years I decide I'm not going to make anything but end up rushing at the last minute to make something wonderful. No matter when I start, though, I usually have to pull an all-nighter to finish.

This year LadyBug is all about the capes. She wanted to be a vampire {just your everyday ordinary kind of vampire and not the sparkly kind} and since I have about a billion other things going on, I took her shopping and bought an inexpensive black cape. And of course, as I ironed it out, I thought to myself, why didn't I just make one?

I'm going as Hermoine Granger. I don't know what I did with my time turner. If I could find it, I would use it to go back and make LadyBug's cape. And then I'd use it to have a long, long nap. I was up until the week hours of the morning getting the Halloween Chili ready and putting together a Camp Jupiter t-shirt for Grasshopper. When will I ever learn?

In honor of the day, I've put together a little virtual trick-or-treating. Click on one or all and enjoy!

The Ghoulbert Report
Actor Tom Hanks shares easy and inexpensive Halloween costume ideas. Love it!
The Colbert ReportMon - Thurs 11:30pm / 10:30c
Stephen Ghoulbert's Spooky-Time Halloween Fun Guide - Tom Hanks
www.colbertnation.com
Colbert Report Full EpisodesPolitical Humor & Satire BlogVideo Archive

A Ghostly Phenomenon
I don't really buy into the paranormal. But hey, it's Halloween, right? So I thought I'd share this car advertisement from somewhere. When they finished filming, the ad the people who made it noticed something moving along the side of the car, like a ghostly white mist. About halfway through, you will see the white mist crossing in front of the car then following it along the road accompanied by an eerie sound that you can barely hear.  You have to have the sound turned up to hear it.  It is really faint but when the car rounds the second corner and looks like it's going through trees is when it starts.

The ad was never put on TV because of the unexplained ghostly phenomenon. ..... Spooky!

Re: Your Brains
It's a perfectly reasonable request. I just don't get why Tom won't cooperate.

Heads Will Roll
Michael Jackson's Thriller debuted at special theatrical screening in Los Angeles in 1983. It was shown in the theater before the re-release of Fantasia in order to qualify for an Academy Award and most people left after the video. I remember when it was first shown on MTV. It always has been and always will be one of my all-time favorite songs. The rap was written by Rod Temperton in a taxi cab on the way to the recording studio. He wrote three verses, but only the first and third were included in the song, which was voiced over by Vincent Price. I love this fun Mash-up of Thriller and Heads Will Roll performed in the first season of Glee.

2 comments:

Paulette said...

I hope to see pictures of you and the kids in your costumes!

I only made a couple of costumes for M. I think the Care Bear suit did me in.

I am procrastinating on making some fleece jammies for her birthday...need to have them done by Sunday. Have I cut them out yet? No...

Jean C. said...

Just wandered over from Sew Many Ways; and although I have seen the silly Halloween video about the car commercial... it got me again!!! LoL I was looking at it last night... after the house was quiet! Good thing I didn't scream! LoL...
I traveled down to your Oct. 28th Sunday Sermons: and want you to know how much I enjoyed it. Thank you for sharing "our faith" in your blog and with your followers. And if it's alright with you I would like to use your ward members "meme" (not sure what that stands for though) in my lesson on kindness in December. Sometimes, we need these short easy things, to remember the important things.
djcogdill@q.com